1. In Germany, a purse is called a handbag. DO NOT, for any reason, attempt to explain to a flight attendant that you left your "purse" on the plane. You will get a very nasty look, and you could very likely lose your beloved purse to said attendant.
2. Never, I repeat, NEVER tell the BT phone customer service guy that you would like to talk with someone who speaks English. This seemingly understandable request will promptly get you hung up on.
3. Always stand to the right when riding on escalators...there is a distinct possibility that you could get trampled in the tube station if you do not follow this rule!
4. When the Italian police tell you (well, hand-sign in our case) that you need to give them money, go ahead and do it. Your friend might not be super happy with you, but losing 50 Euros is definitely better than ending up in an Italian jail!
5. If ever in Prague, make sure that you get actual Czech money back from the market vendors as change. It could prove to be quite embarrassing if you try to pay for a beer w/ money from another country.
6. Do NOT drink tea offered to you by a rug merchant at the Istanbul Grand Bazaar. You are likely to come home with a highly over-priced rug, and a strange light-headed feeling.
7. Stick w/ British food at British pubs (except at The Eagle), and when in doubt order the Sticky Toffee Pudding as your main meal. It's sure to be fantastic!
8. Norwich is pronounced Nor-rich. This language lesson might come in handy if you don't want to look ridiculous when you try to tell your British neighbors where you were last weekend.
9. When purchasing a car, stay away from all 1992 Land Rover Defender's...no matter how much your husband begs you to get it!!
10. When posing for pictures w/ Italian locals, try NOT to stand under a pro-Communist sign giving a thumbs up. As Chris would say, I had seriously low SA with that one! (This picture has since been destroyed!)
The sad thing is, I could list about 100 other little lessons that I've learned since moving here. I don't know if that implies that I'm a complete mess, or that God just likes to add a little humor here and there in our lives. I think I'll just smile and go with the latter!


1 comments:
Oh my I LOVE sticky toffee pudding!
Post a Comment