Resolving To Do Better!

I have to admit that the resolutions/goals that I set for myself almost 2 weeks ago haven't been as easy to stick to as I had hoped....darn Dr. Pepper!! In all seriousness though, I am committed to bettering myself this year so I thought a little accountability couldn't hurt :)

The gratitude journal and the scripture reading have been the two things that I've consistently been good about completing each day. I can already feel a change in my attitude because of the way that I'm approaching things, and I truly believe that starting the gratitude journal has made all the difference. When I sit down at night to reflect on the blessings of the day, I am amazed at all of the wonderful things that God has given to us. Not only that, but I'm starting to see that even in the trying times, there is underlying goodness. For example, Chris's training has been a lot more demanding than either of us had realized. His 12 hour work-days sometimes stretch even longer, and Saturday work has now become a reality. With a baby at home, it's even harder...on both of us. While it still upsets me that he isn't at home nearly as often as I would like, I can appreciate the time that we do get to be together even more now because I know that it is precious. And at least he has a job, a good job; one that provides insurance for our family, and one that allows me to stay home with Elli. What is there to complain about really? I can see the my own selfishness now, whereas a week ago I couldn't.

And I've started to read 1st Kings, which has been incredibly interesting. I've never read this book before, and honestly didn't know much about Solomon or the blessings the Lord bestowed upon him. When asked by the Lord what he most desired, Solomon answered "a discerning heart" 1Kings 3:9. It got me thinking...what would I ask for? What would you ask for? Would a discerning heart top my list? Or would the things of this world tip the scales a different way? The Lord granted Solomon's request because his desire was pure, and additionally made Solomon wiser than anyone who had come before him or anyone who would come after. This book has really sparked my interest in a way that I've never felt before when reading the Bible...an answered prayer in itself...another entry for the gratitude journal :)

As for the whole "not drinking Dr. Pepper's except on the weekends" thing...well, ummm...I haven't been quite as good about that. OR about the working out at least 30 minutes a day...unless of course you count me walking up to the corner store to buy a Dr. Pepper! See what I mean about having a problem?! It's almost as bad as my Chick-fil-a addiction! But tomorrow is a new day, and I really am resolving to do better!!

0 comments: