As many of you know, I am a substitute teacher at a school on base here in England. The kids are always chitter-chattering away, spreading their joy to all who will listen. At this time of year especially, they are so contagiously happy that I can't help but get swept up in the excitement of the holidays. Today, for example, the entire school gathered in the lobby and sang Christmas carols. The sound of their sweet voices filled the hallways, and I was instantly taken back to the memory of my childhood and the buzzing anticipation of Santa and his eight tiny reindeer dancing on rooftops. Their faces shined, smiles were exchanged, and hands were held as they finished with a jubilent rendition of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". It was such an enchanting way to start the day!
So then, back in my classroom, I read "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (for the first time in about 15 years!). And my "Grinch voice" would do my Mama proud, if I do say so myself! Anyway, at the end of the story, I asked the kids what the Grinch learned about Christmas. Of course, I got a few of the typical random 1st grade answers like, "He learned that he likes the color green!", and "He learned that he needs reindeer and not a dog!". But one answer stood out from the rest. A little girl in the back said, "He learned that Christmas isn't about what you get, it's about who you're with, and who you love. It's about family, and friends, and Jesus." (Yes, a 1st grader said this!) And I, in turn, teared up.
I love children, their sweet innocence and their surprising wisdom. I love how they can remind us, in their silly ways, that it's the simple things that matter the most. No matter what they go through (parents deploying, changing schools, packing their life up every 2-3 years) they always have this wide-eyed optimism that serves to inspire us to be a little more hopeful, a little more happy, and a little more kind.
May the spirit of Christmas fill your heart this year. May joy surround you and your family. And may Christ fill your lives with childlike wonder & amazement at all the blessings you have received!
With love and a Merry Christmas,
Chris & Amy


0 comments:
Post a Comment