Yesterdays phone conversation w/ the pediatrician's office....
Nurse: Hi Amy, I was just calling you back to address your questions about Elli's sleep patterns.
Me: Uhh, yes. You're my last resort...I just can't help but think there is something wrong. My baby wakes up every 2 hours during the night and she's 11 weeks old.
Nurse: Well, every baby is different, so what works for one might not work for another.
Me: (totally dejected) Well, thanks anyway. I do have another question...I'm only getting about 3 oz when I pump, and when I give her the bottle at night she's taking upwards of 5 oz. Could it be that I'm not producing enough milk?
Nurse: (silent for a moment) Well shu-gah (we're in the South remember), that could be the problem. Honey, you're baby's hungry!
So, much to my utter embarrassment, I have been complaining about my sweet child's sleep patterns when really she's just been super hungry! I think this is the first of many bad-mommy moments! But, we're on track now and will be supplementing formula after every feeding from now on. We'll see how it goes tonight...I'm hoping for a miracle :)


2 comments:
I certainly don't want to say that your nurse is wrong. But, I do want to mention that a lot of people do not get as much out of pumping. In other words, the pump is not as efficient as the baby. She could be eating 5oz at the breast even though you are only pumping 3oz. I also know that Keira slept through the night for the 1st time the first day of no breastfeeding. I don't know if that was a fluke or not.
Aww, this happened to me. I didn't make enough milk, so we had to supplement. Ultimately, I just stopped nursing because it was too hard on me to do both. :( I hope you don't have to, but know you aren't alone if it comes to that! And you are not a bad mommy at all - its just rough the first few months. Maybe feed her a full formula bottle before bedtime to get her nice and full - maybe that will get her on track a bit more??? You might get a longer stretch of sleep!!!
Post a Comment