I never make resolutions. It's not that I don't believe in them, but I just have always figured that if there is something that I want to change about myself/my life, I just change it when it comes up. This past year; however, I've learned that I really thrive on goals. I am so much better about completing things if I sit down and make a list of goals on how I want to achieve them. So, for the first time in a VERY long time, I'll actually be making some New Year's Resolutions.
1. Become a more "glass half-full" kinda girl
Start a Gratitude Journal
I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I am a very blessed woman. I have a wonderful husband, a precious daughter, and a great extended family. Really, what more could I ask for? But, that doesn't stop me from being pessimistic and unhappy with our circumstances sometimes. All too often, I notice myself comparing my life to my friends lives...their possessions, relationships, attitudes, etc. That's not an easy thing to admit, and I'm definitely not proud of it...but it's the truth. This year I've decided to start a Gratitude Journal. Every night before bed, I'll write down a list of things that I was grateful for that day in hopes that by taking a moment to reflect on the things that truly matter, my "yearning for more" heart will start to change as well.
2. Improve my relationship with the Lord
Read the Word each and every day
I often say that there is not enough time in the day to get everything accomplished. I rush, rush, rush around so much that I think I'd forget my head sometimes if it wasn't attached to my body! I have list upon list of things that I need to buy/do/read/watch/etc. Sadly, the thing that seems to always fall to the bottom of the pile is the time I spend with God. I intend on getting up early to do it, only to have Elli wake up just a little earlier. I say I'll do it before bed, only to be so exhausted that I sometimes forget to take off my socks before I crawl between the sheets. There is always an excuse, and none of them are good enough anymore. Though I pray multiple times daily, I don't think I listen quite as much as I talk. Reading the bible is a priority...now I need to live like it's a priority. PLUS, Chris got me a GREAT new bible for Christmas and I'm anxious to use it to it's full potential. It's a devotional bible, and it's super easy to use. There's one specifically for mother's...which is where I intend on starting :)

3. Be a better friend
Phone Calls, Cards, and Notes ARE Important!
I'm terrible about the phone. I hardly ever hear it ringing, and if I do, I feel like I'm always right in the middle of something. And then when the caller leaves a message, I'm terrible about returning the call! Isn't that a terrible thing to admit? Ugh, I feel bad just writing it! But I know how much it means to me when I get a card in the mail, or when a friend just calls to check and see how I'm doing. It really makes my day. I want to be that kind of friend...one who remembers birthdays, and kids birthdays. One who sends a card for no reason at all. One who at least answers the phone every now and then!! And this year, I vow to be better about that. I have so many amazing friends...I think they all deserve at least that much :)
4. Get Healthy (because what is a NY Resolution w/o something about weight?!)
Excercise, Eat Better, DON'T Drink my Calories!!
Though I lost all of the "baby weight" relatively quickly, that pesky weight around my mid-section that was there before I got pregnant still wants to hang around for awhile! I drink entirely too many Dr. Peppers. Seriously. I think I have a problem. I resolve to only drink Dr. Pepper's on the weekends, to walk/run/exercise for 30 min every day, and to start counting calories again...Starting Monday. Heehee, did you catch that? Just wanted to see if you were still reading!! But seriously, I'd like to lose 20 lbs by June...I think it's do-able!
And there you have it. Not too hard, yet EXACTLY what I need to do to become a healthier, happier, more spiritually rich woman in 2010!


3 comments:
Wow, your goals are wonderful...
I too have made being grateful my goal for this year. Our time on earth is precious...seeing the "glass half full" like you mentioned is so much more worth it than being seeing it half empty. I also appreciated your goal for keeping in contact with friends...it reminds me how special friends are, and how important it is to nurture those relationships.
God Bless you and your adorable family this year!
Lena Medina
I love it, Amy. Those are actually resolutions we could all probably put in to practice.
Thanks for giving me something to think about - I especially like the idea of a Gratitude Journal!
Hmmm...I am horrible with the phone, too. Absolutely horrible and people are really starting to notice. It's worse now that I have kids.
Post a Comment