I'm a huge Christmas card fan. I mean, HUGE! I love getting them in the mail, and have been known to hoard them all on the counter until after dinner so that I can have a moment to really savor opening each one. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have just admitted that :) But I do love a good Christmas card. And Christmas letters are even better. Some people think they're cheesy, but I adore getting them...it's like I get to share a little piece of your year with you even though I'm far away. I keep thinking, "this is the year we'll finally write one", but I've yet to follow through. Next year. Well, maybe :)
I don't know about you guys, but I have a time-line for my Christmas cards. I try to have the pictures taken by late October so that I can plenty of time to choose just the right card, and have it delivered by mid November. It only takes me one night to address them b/c once I get started, I get so excited that I just can't make myself stop. (Does that sentence have "dork" written all over it?!) And then I mail them out on the 1st of December. Not the 2nd. The 1st. Why, you may ask? I have no idea...it's just what I do. Maybe I can blame my mom for that little piece of neurosis? Yeah, I think I'll blame her!
So this year, everything was going according to my completely ridiculous, way-too-thought-out plan, and I was happy. We had to move past some minor hiccups (like me changing the design a bazillion times) but I finally decided on a card from Tiny Prints (super cute stuff!) where I could fit a maximum number of pictures on it b/c I couldn't just choose 1 (or 3) of Elli. Now that I think of it, I may have a small decision making problem! Anyway, said cards arrived and I got started with the addresses. Ummm, note to self: make your Christmas card list BEFORE you start addressing the envelopes!! I got through about 1/2 of them and realized that 1) I hadn't ordered NEAR enough cards, and 2) there was also a shortage of envelopes. In the end, I had 6 cards left over w/ no envelopes to match, and about 20 people who I still wanted to send card to. Hmmmm. So, just FYI, if you usually get a Christmas card from me you very well may get a super cute (in my opinion, anyway!) card in a very large, non-matching, red envelope that I got from Office Depot today in hopes of still making my December 1st mail-out deadline :) OR, if you're lucky (and at the end of the alphabet), you may receive a cute little generic card from Hallmark! Tee Hee! Merry Christmas friends!!
Where do y'all get your Christmas cards from? Any funny stories that go along with yours this year? And please tell me that I'm not the only one out there with a crazy card routine :)


5 comments:
I wish I were as organized as you are. I only got my cards yesterday and am still missing some addresses. I was smart and at least made a list of everyone I wanted to send a card to before I ordered, but I'm missing addresses still and people aren't returning emails...
We got our cards from Costco because they had some really cute photo cards for a reasonable price. Someday I might do a letter, but I guess part of me feels like our life is pretty boring when painted in the broad strokes of a Christmas letter. That's actually why I love blogging. I can use as much space and as many words as I want. I can tell the world how Audrey likes to pet the dog or take off her shoes or how many teeth she has if I want without wasting space that should be devoted to "news". I hope we will get one of the cute photo cards, but if not I'm just happy to know you are thinking of us.
You are not alone! My husband calls me the crazy christmas card lady. Its driving me nuts that they are not in yet. I want to get them out!! One fun tradition we did growing up to keep all the cards until we can pray for each family (one a night). It can last until March! I love looking at all the cards again in the new year!
When are you moving to SJ? See you there in the spring!
Janell
Also, I sent you a generic card the first year because I'd run out so don't feel bad. It really is the thought that counts.
I got our cards from vistaprint this year. They are so cheap. I haven't received them yet though. And, I even picked a May picture where the girls are in sleeveless dresses. My Christmas card photo shoots never go as planned. I usually get terribly disappointed. I can't resist this particular picture from May though. I have an ongoing card list on excel, so it's easy to count how many I need. However, I will be a little short this year because of an ordering issue. Then, I always buy some generic if someone new sends me one and add them to our list for next year.
I told you about our photographer issues. That wasn't really funny but we evenutally got them. I just posted the horrible expereince on the blog if you want the ending.
Amy, we have talked about your need to plan in the past but I never heard this one! I still haven't ordered mine yet so I really have no room to talk.
Post a Comment