Hey bloggy friends! It's been a long time since I've written about anything not pertaining to mommy-hood. Funny how that happens sometimes! So I thought I'd share some of the things that I've been reading & watching lately...and get some suggestions from y'all as well :)
True Grit:
Hmmm, where do I begin? I know a LOT of people really, really liked this movie. It was recommended by quite a few friends and family members. I; however, was not a fan. Something about Maddie...I just found her to be, well, annoying. I actually really like Westerns usually, but I just couldn't get into this one. And to me, Matt Damon just didn't fit somehow...especially as someone from Texas! When the movie ended I couldn't help feeling perplexed. Both Chris and I felt like it was a waste of 2 hours. Sad, I know.
The Company Men:
I didn't love this movie either. In it's defense, it was the 2nd movie of the night and we (I...Chris was asleep!) didn't start it until almost 11. So, maybe it's a little unfair to judge it so harshly since I could barely hold my eyes open for it! But, I'm one of those people who HAS to see the end if I start it. Worst movie ever? I'll stick it out to the credits. I just can't help it.
Anyway, back to the movie. Again, I just didn't get into it. I really liked the actors, and the previews made it look really interesting. But, in the end, I think it just fell flat. Maybe it was an accurate portrayal of how it feels to lose your job, especially as an executive...I don't know. But even so, there was no really "gripping" part. None of the characters really made you "feel" for them. One was a jerk (in the beginning), one was having an affair (sooo, jerk), and the other was just pitiful. Sad, yes. Memorable? No.
Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo:
Wow. There really are no words. It's a short book that I finished in about 1.5 days because I just couldn't put it down. It was engaging, heart-tugging and remarkable. I thought it was sincere in its message, and I just couldn't help but feel a little bit more joyful when I finished it. Death is daunting to me. I felt like this was a little glimpse of what is in store for us (in heaven), in an easy-to-understand, and vivid version. That's what this book is, I guess. Many books in the Bible explain what heaven will look like, some in great detail, but sometimes the language and wording is difficult to wrap my head around. This book, coming from a 4 year old, isn't difficult at all. It stays true to what I've read in scripture but somehow enhances the images in my mind. I'd highly recommend it to anyone :)
What I'm Currently Reading:
The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
Praying the Scriptures for Your Children by Jodie Berndt
Do you have any good book or movie recommendations?? I'm really not picky about movies (though my reviews might say otherwise!). I usually like anything :) And while I don't have a whole lot of time to read anymore, I LOVE to do it when I get the chance! So any suggestions would be great!
Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!


0 comments:
Post a Comment