Love Me Some Christmas!!!

What a week! After getting off to a rather rocky start, I think we ended on an especially good note :)

Elli is still having difficulty sleeping for longer than about 3 hours at a time. For about 5 days the week before last, she only woke up once during the night...that was short-lived. Starting last Monday, she was back to her trademark 3x-5x/night. I was exhausted! So, on Wednesday I decided to try "Cry It Out". Ummm, it did not go well. I started on her first nap and she cried for an hour straight....and that was the end of that. (Yes, I'm a wuss!!)

I decided that neither she, nor I, was quite ready for the CIO method. So instead, I decided to really work hard at understanding and getting familiar with her schedule. I realized that I've been going-going-going so much lately that I haven't really had time to see when her little body gets tired. And sure enough, after a week of really paying attention & writing things down, she has a pretty consistent schedule that I seem to have been neglecting. Now that we're on the same page, I feel like I'll have a much easier time w/ sleep training. And after talking and praying w/ a really sweet friend, I think I will be ready to re-attack the CIO technique once we get back from Texas after the holidays. I'll definitely let you all know how it goes!!

On a different note, the Christmas spirit has definitely made itself at home in the Duncan household!! Our decorations are up (though those have been up since the weekend before Thanksgiving!!), all the presents are wrapped & under the tree, & Christmas music is the ONLY thing that plays on the radio in my car! We tried to go to the Christmas Fest yesterday, only to find that it had been cancelled due to weather...super bummed! But, we drove around looking at Christmas lights instead...super fun!! Elli had her first picture w/ Santa last week (she did great!), and I'm going to start making all of my Nana's yummy Christmas goodies tomorrow. Oh how I love this season!!

At church this morning the choir put on a wonderful concert of Christmas carols. I cried as Mary & Joseph, with baby Jesus, made their way into the sanctuary during one of the songs. This year, as a new mother, I saw the manger scene through different eyes. I listened to the cries of that sweet baby and could actually picture what it must have been like in Bethlehem when the Son of God was born. I can't describe the emotion that I felt...there really aren't words. But it reminded me, yet again, of how much I have to be thankful for this year. First and foremost, that I am forgiven because of the sacrifice of my Father.

I hope that you all are having a wonderful holiday as well. That you are getting to spend time with those that you love, and that you are enjoying all of the things that this season brings. And I am wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas...just a little bit early :)

4 comments:

David and Kate said...

Amy! I love you and you can do it... call me anytime. And then send me some of those Christmas goodies :)

Danielle said...

We did CIO with Elle. We used the Ferber method, but like most of them say, 6 months is usually the youngest. Good luck!

Jennjilla said...

Aww, sorry to hear Elli and you have been having a rough go - but, I hope it's getting better!!! Good luck on this new adventure and hopefully you can both get some sleep!

When you are in Texas - give us a holler! We'd love to see you all!

Cup of Grace Coffee Shop said...

I know you guys are getting tons of advice and I don't really know what the CIO method is, but I thought I would suggest something that my friend is doing. it's a variation on the "cry it out" where you check on them in intervals of 5- minutes, increasing it by 5 minutes each time. When you go back in, don't talk to her, just tuck her back in and walk back out of the room. I know it sounds really cruel and un-loving, but it seems to be working for their child.

This is just advice from a nanny, but most of my kids are "cry it out", but never as long as an hour :) so I feel your pain on that one.

some other advice, but do what is best for you guys. Hope to see your bundle of joy sometime!

Candie<><