This week's chapters in "So Long Insecurity", were a little bit different. The first one, chapter 9, finally dealt with healing. The prayer that Beth wrote out was brilliant, though I didn't pray that exact one out loud. I read through it, and then prayed my own prayer...one that honestly started to heal my heart just like she said it would. This week's questions are a little different as well.
Here they are:
1. DO (don't just read, but actually DO) chapter 9. Reflect back on this time with God, and share anything specific that you received from it.
2. Go to this link and look at all the verses in the comment section. Pick five Scriptures that speak most powerfully to you right now - five that you feel like you need the most - and write them on the inside cover of your book.
I hope that this weeks reading was well received in your hearts. Can't wait to see the comments!



3 comments:
#1 ~ Like I said in my post, I didn't read the prayer out loud; however, I did speak to God about what I'm currently dealing with and I followed the same structure as the prayer in the book. Though Beth did a great job of making the books prayer very universal, I wanted to truly make it my own...which is why I deviated. I did follow her instructions about finding a quiet place, devoting a good 30 min. to it, and getting in a posture of submission (my words, not hers), and (as always) I felt like my heart was really open to what God had to say. Things started coming out that I didn't know I was harboring (good & bad), and I sincerely prayed about them. Afterwards I felt lighter, more clear, and better about the road ahead.
#2 ~ Oh, there were so many!! Here are a few that really stuck out to me...they met me where I am in life right now.
"Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. Psalm 105:4
"My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:26
"She will have no fear of bad news, her heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord, Her heart is secure, she will have no fear, and in the end, she will look in triumph on her adversaries."
psalm 112:7-8
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV
And maybe my favorite:
"You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north."
Deuteronomy 2:3 NASB
Sorry this has taken me so long…
#1-I did the prayer but not like she told us to. First of all, I can’t sit for that long without getting up and doing something because of pain. Secondly, I tried to do it in one sitting and just couldn’t because other things kept coming up…and I soon realized if I was going to get through this chapter I would have to do it when I could do it (isn’t this sentence just sad and a pitiful excuse?)
When I started reading this prayer it came at a time when I was notified that I didn’t get a job that I so desperately wanted. It was hard to get through a few lines without bursting out in tears…basically acting like a huge baby for not getting what I wanted, another reason it took me so long to get through it. I’m much better now…even though I just started crying again.
Beth has such a great way of putting things. I love her comment on pg 169, “Help me to recognize any form of pride or unbelief and to refuse it immediately.” Another good one on that page, “You know where I developed a belief system based on the frailties of man instead of the bedrock of You.”
#2-I didn’t see the link posted…maybe I took long to do this and now it disappeared…haha
Yes, I’ve been bad and haven’t posted anything in a while but I did post this one last week. Amy, I think your blog is eating the entries.
#1) I must confess, I did not do the prayer like she wanted me to. I said this prayer in random places at random times and not all in one sitting. I tried but there would be times I would get really upset and just couldn’t continue. The first time I sat down to do this was the day I found out that I didn’t get a job that I really wanted. I felt like I had prepared myself for the let down mainly because I cried for a few days off and on but I got over quicker than I thought. Not having a job is one of my insecurities, a big one, and I really thought this job was going to be my ticket to finally getting started into something that my family would benefit from. God obviously has other plans, and I’m really trying to trust in those plans.
Here are a few things that I picked out of the prayer that touched me. Pg 169-“Help me to recognize any form of pride or unbelief and to refuse it immediately.” Also on that page, “You know where I developed a belief system based on the frailty of man instead of the bedrock of you.” Pg 171-“Lord, help me to learn how to hang on tight to You when my life is rocked by dramatic change. Empower me to trust You and not panic or fight for control.”
Pg 173-“Make me a courageous woman in this harrowing culture.” This verse struck me like a ton of bricks. Since I’m getting ready to have a girl, I think a lot about what kind of mother I’m going to be, and I’m scared out of my mind. Aside from labor itself, being a parent is the next thing that terrifies me. The role of a parent plays such a vital component in a child’s life…and I don’t want to screw that up. I beg for God to do this, pg 174-“Make me the kind of woman a little girl could follow to dignity and security.”
#2) I’m not sure what site I’m supposed to go to for the versus…
Post a Comment