A special little girl's birthday is right around the corner (okay, it's still over 2 months away...but it seems like it will be here really quickly!), and I need some serious help! Our theme is ladybugs, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I love the colors pink & lime green, so instead of the typical red & black ladybugs we'll be going with those colors. But seriously, other than that I'm out of ideas. One of my friends did a super cute "Rock Star" theme for her little boy for his 1st birthday and I'm totally in awe. What happened to all of my creativity? I'm totally at a loss! (And is it weird that I have her 2nd birthday party completely planned already? Though I guess that doesn't really count b/c I totally stole the idea from a friend of mine's sister...I don't know her, so I don't feel so badly! TeeHee!) So, anyone have any fun ideas for a FIRST birthday?? I know it's supposed to be really low maintenance since she's so young, but can anyone offer up any suggestions about how you made your baby's very first birthday celebration unforgettable? I'll take all the help I can get :)
AND, while you're all sharing fun ideas for the party, could you shed a little light on what kinds of presents a 1 year old would enjoy (from us). My thoughts seem a little "old" for her...a little kitchen, a "house" for the backyard, one of those little pedal cars (in pink, of course! Ha!). See?! I know that these things are more for a toddler than a 1 year old, but they are just so stinkin' cute that I can hardly help myself! But seriously, what did your 1 year old like? She honestly has enough toys as it is, so we'd really just like to get her one or two "bigger" things that she can enjoy for a little while. Chris's suggestion of an airplane is out, though I wouldn't be surprised if he wraps up a little one anyway with grand promises for later :)


8 comments:
I don't really have any good ideas for parties. Growing up the standard 1 year birthday party involved the birthday kid eating cake in their swimsuit and then getting hosed off in the backyard after. (July in Arizona makes this a great birthday option, elsewhere I'm not so sure.) We will probably be staying pretty low key for this birthday since the first birthday party is really more for the parents than the baby. However, I've already planned what I'm getting Audrey. http://www.northstartoys.com/collections/all-collections/products/paddle-wheel-boat
It is just a small toy, but we tend to go more low key when it comes to toys too and I think she'll love it.
Ellen got Lane a little red wagon that she pulls him in for walks...the kind that has backed seats. He likes that! Does she have one of those cars that you scoot along with your feet, and they also come with a handle that mommy can push initially?
Ok, I am going to use ideas from this blog for Emme's party, and you can too. Be prepared for your mind to be blown with creativity.
simplycreativeinsanity.blogspot.com
We got Drew a wagon, and Bryan's mom got him one of the push cars. He still LOVES them both. Also, for Christmas we got him a little slide that can stay inside or go outside. He's nearly too big for it now, but he still enjoys it. As for party ideas, I'm not sure...I'm a boy mom, so it's hard to switch gears! If I think of anything, I'll let you know!
Thanks for all the ideas so far! I like the swimsuit idea, Theresa! We're actually thinking of having the party early so that everyone has the option of going swimming afterwards...though we'll make sure that Elli is hosed off beforehand :) And I was thinking of the wagon idea...I'm glad to have some reviews, it sounds like it's a winner. Erin, oh my gosh...that site!! Holy moly, that's insane (ha, love the title!). I'll definitely be using that as well!!
Make sure you put pictures of her up that you have taken, like her monthly pictures. We did a baseball theme, for a boy of course. I had baseball cutouts with some of my favorite pictures on them. It was fun to look at all of them. I also had a garland of hos pictures held up by clothespins on the mantle. Look at Kelly's Korner and go back to her Harper's 1st birthday. She had some cute pink/green decorations.
We also kept it low key with just family and friends. I had made a video of pictures from his 1st year that we all watched. It was very simple and all about him!
Sawyer loved his puzzles back then, so he got a lot of those. Boys and girls like so many different things - it's hard to think of what would translate for E. We bought Sawyer a fort swingset with a slide and it's been the best present ever. He was walking, though, so he was ready for it. I'd keep it low key - a few friends of mine and I all do money towards the kids college fund so we don't all end up with crap toys that no one needs.
We got Elle a Parents Busy Zoo. They are at Target. We STILL have it although with an almost four year old and a 2.5 year old, I think it's finally losing it's appeal. It's very age appropriate though and will keep her interest for long time.
I don't have any party ideas. But, I will say that her first birthday will be special no matter what you do..even if you just have a party with you & Chris. You won't forget it.
We are totally on the same page!!! I've been so worried about this party... do I invite people other than just close friends and family? do we go all out or keep it low key? What to do... what to do?
I've been getting a lot of ideas from www.theidearoom.com I told you we are doing a "sunshine" theme so I am making that rainbow cake on there but the outside will look like a sun. You could do pink and green layers and make the outside like a lady bug??? I also saw some REALLY cute sunflower cupcakes with a little lady bug on them. That would be fun. I bought some cupcake holders (?) that are shaped like a little flower pot that I was going to do mine in. I got them at Hobby Lobby.
Also designdazzle.blogspot.com has a whole section devoted to kids b-day parties. SO CUTE!!! The milk and cookies one is going to be her first slumber party birthday. ADORABLE!
Have fun! I'll be posting pics for Raegan's party once it nears. You MUST post pics of yours?
Post a Comment