I still can't believe that I'm a mommy sometimes. Although my life has changed significantly, and almost every thought I have now has Elli's little face intermingled in it somewhere, there are some moments when the sheer realization that she is MINE still takes me by surprise.
Like today.
My precious girl has learned how to play chase. She will take off around the couch and cast a mischievous grin over her shoulder to make sure that I'm coming to get her. Her giggles fill the room, and when I catch her you'd think I'd just done the funniest thing in the world. When she stops wiggling enough to get serious again, she quickly moves on from being the chase-y to the chase-er...and laughter again ensues.
And I think...she's mine.
This girl, who is learning so quickly that I can't keep up, is mine. All the wiggles, giggles, and snuggles are mine to treasure. And I'm filled with indescribable gratitude.
A year ago I imagined how my life would change once she had arrived. I dreamed of the fun things that we would do, the things that I would teach her, the lessons that we would learn together. And here we are, doing them. She's like a sponge, soaking every single experience up and loving every minute of it.
And it's finally starting to sink in. This is our life...filled with never-ending games of chase, eskimo kisses at bedtime, mushed up bananas, Elmo stories, and more happiness than I ever dreamed of.


4 comments:
That's funny...I still feel the same way about you and Trav. It's the mommy thing.
Amy- you are such a great mom- I cant wait one day to share that same love- hearing that makes me want to be a great mom one day just like you. we miss you guys tons
You're so sweet, Tara!! We miss y'all too!! I sooo hope that we'll be stationed together again someday :)
I have an feeling that we'll be thinking this way about our children for the rest of our lives. Most of the time, I'm in awe, but let's be real...once they hit about 2 years (or earlier) sometimes they definitely embarrass me in public.
Post a Comment