Okay, we're going to do something different this week. I'll post the questions (still straight from Beth Moore's blog), and I"ll write my responses in the comments section. I think my answers may have been distracting...what do you think? Anyway, you can all post your answers there as well...and we can have discussion. Oh so fun!! I thought we'd continue reading 2 chapters a week, and then discussing on Monday. So, this week is chapter 3 & 4.
Here are the questions/assignments:
1. Based on Chapter 3, what tends to be your prominent false positive?
2. Write out the challenge at the end of Chapter 3 again so that you can pound it into your belief system. Beth says it is CRITICAL to our journey! I believe her :)
3. Based on Chapter 4, what biblical character (or statement about him/her) resonated the most with you? Why?
I really learned a lot about myself this week. Or, not really "learned" as much as "examined". I guess I've always known, deep down, what I struggle with; however, it's a little different when you delve into it a bit deeper and start asking "why?". And really, it's not even about asking "why?" as much as it is about asking what it's keeping you from, and how it limits you from accomplishing all that God has perfectly set out before you. Besides the questions above, did any of you have any great revelations this week? Or anything that just really stood out as important that you'd like to share? I'd love to hear about where you are on your journey!


4 comments:
…so I didn’t see your posts for these two chapters…maybe that’s what comes on Monday...
#1-I love that I have a name for my “prominent false positive”. Mine is by far having a meaningful job. I have no idea where this comes from but this insecurity oozes out of me like stinky goo I can’t wash off no matter how many expensive scrubs I buy from Sephora (sorry for the description but I just despise this feeling.) I loathe the fact that I measure my sense of happiness by my usefulness to others. Beth gave several examples in the book about PFP’s, and I think some of mine intertwine with insecurity about being jobless. I think that power and credentials all play a small part in the all encompassing jobless insecurity feeling. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be the powerful President of the United States. I think the power I’m thinking of comes from the fact that other people have confidence in me to make the right decision that will ultimately make a positive difference on a much lower scale than world affairs. It’s empowering to have that kind of assurance from other people. Last week, the director of the place where I volunteer gave me a key to open the facility one day while she is gone at a conference. While “opening” the facility means turning on the lights and opening the blinds, I was so happy that she put that much trust in me, a crazy pregnant lady who sometimes forgets to show up for her volunteer work! Credentials are something that I’ve fought for since I thought school was important, not sure when that thought kicked into the picture. My parent instilled an excellent work ethic in every aspect of my life, but I’ve always thought schooling and awards would push me further up the line of success. It might have in a different economy and in a different town other than Vegas where Black Jack dealers make 6 figures and education is of least importance. I struggle with this insecurity almost daily and it has become very consuming the last few weeks. I HATE that I let it take over my thoughts and become such a stable presence in my day.
#2-I might be off on exactly what she is asking. If she is challenging us to be completely secure in our life, I think this challenge might be impossible. Maybe this is where my lack of faith will come shining through like an ugly monster, but I find it really hard to believe that a person can be totally secure in every facet of their life. I can see how you may feel totally secure in your marriage or completely insecure in the role being a mother. If Beth is talking about being secure in our PFP, then yes, I think that could be done. It’s going to take a lot for me to become secure in this area but I think it can be done. I can’t imagine the feeling that would overcome my heart if I was able to kick this horrible companion to the curb.
#3-In general, I feel that I can relate to all of them, but this question made me think about women and how we treat each other. Beth published another study not too long ago, Esther: It’s Tough Being a Woman; she isn’t lying. It’s hard to be the mom, daughter, sister, wife, co-worker, home-maker, teacher, mentor, leader…without possessing the cut-throat mentality of surviving in a “man’s world.” In that study, I really examined my relationships with other women. As women, I think it’s our duty and privilege to lift up other women. Generally, I think most of us have felt the same insecurities, and we all know how it feels. As women, we should take that gift of knowledge and use it to our advantage to build each other up and not use it for evil and tear each other down.
Kel, I don't know where my posts went!! Weird! But here's a recap...
#1 ~ I have a few false positives, one relating to weight (I know, totally stupid right?), and one relating to other people's houses and decorating. Isn't that weird? But I always find myself wanting what others have, thinking they have better taste, wishing we had more money to spend on stuff. Ugh, again with the hating to write this stuff. Honesty though, pure honesty.
#2 ~ I think Beth was just saying that we should write down the actual challenge, word for word, so that we can see it written that God wants us to be successful and secure in our worldly positions. But you bring up a good point. Chris and I were talking about the same thing the other day. I don't think that anyone can be completely secure either; however, I do think that we can recognize our insecurities, work on them, pray about it, and realize that they don't have to hold us back anymore. I think the key is realizing what it is that is keeping us from God's plan...does that make sense? What do you think?
3 ~ I had a hard time with this one. I didn't really identify with those in the book, but I was reading Luke w/ Chris the other day and I totally identify w/ Zachariah!! When the angel Gabriel told him that his wife, Elizabeth would have a son (John the Baptist), Zachariah argued! Ha!! That's totally me!! It's like, "Amy, here are your gifts, here is what I want you to do, here's how you do it."....and then I ask, "are you sure? Ummm, I don't think I'm ready for all of that. Could you be wrong?"!!
Kelly, thanks for your responses. I totally understand where you're coming from with you the job, and striving for a career. And as far as how women should act, I feel the exact same way! Esther was SUCH a great study, I wish we had done it together!
I have to admit your "home and decorating" insecurity made me smile. Please know that I love your home and it's apparent hat you take great love in keeping it beautiful.
Thanks for clearing up #2. I was really hoping that she was not getting at us being totally secure b/c I just don't think that is possible.
Side note: I brought this book up at our Esther study this past week. We were talking about how it's tough living in another woman's shadow. The ladies in the group really seemd to hang on this topic so I mentioned this book and boasted how great it was. Thanks for getting this started Amy!
I think I have at least 2 really prominent false positives. First, of course, if I just weighed less...I would be happier, I would look better, I would feel better, I would be motivated..blah blah blah. 2ndly, I work with some really brilliant people...I mean really brilliant. And I often think "if I was just smarter". No one is going to believe that, but I really do suffer from some insecurities about not being as smart as some people around me. I tend to be a bit naive about things, and often act before I think and that has proven to be a challenge in my work.I have the benefit of writing after reading some other posts about this. I think the challenge is to have faith that your insecurities can be overcome. We can verbalize our insecurities, draw pictures about them, get therapy for them, but the bottom line is at some point we have to step out in faith and trust that God can help us deal with our insecurities and overcome them.
Post a Comment