Easier Said Than Done

It's not easy to give up control. I'm learning that more and more in my role as a mother. And it's not really just the not being in control that bothers me, but the not knowing that is the hardest to swallow. Do you feel me on that one?

Miss E really hasn't been herself lately. She's been crying a lot more, waking up in the middle of the night (which she hasn't done in over 7 months), changed her eating habits, and has had a few diaper issues (and by a few I mean a TON!). Part of it is that she's growing up, which in and of itself is hard to deal with :) Ha! But the other part of it is a mystery to me...which drives me crazy.

I thought she might be lactose intolerant, though after a little bit of research I've found that it's extremely rare for babies/toddler's to develop that issue. But there is a definite correlation between what she eats/drinks and what happens afterwards...though she didn't seem to have a problem during the first 12 months of her life so I'm a little bit baffled as to why it started now. Or, it could be that she's cutting 3 teeth. Or that she just has toddler's diarrhea (something I had never heard of before until the Dr mentioned it yesterday). Or it could be something worse, or nothing at all. So you see, it's the not knowing that's killing me here!

We've been to the Dr; he's running tests & we've changed her diet in the meantime. All of our parents (and we have 4 sets!) have reassured me that she's fine, and have encouraged me to not panic (who me?!) and to just wait it out. And that's exactly what I need to do, I KNOW this. But it's hard, isn't it? As a mom, the not being able to fix it? I have this inherent need to be able to spot, diagnose, treat, and cure every single thing that E faces in a short 24 hr time span. Don't we all? I mean, no one wants to see their child hurting, or uncomfortable. But, in trying to see the lesson here, I have come to the conclusion that this is only the beginning in a long line of things that I won't be able to fix for her. Or at least fix immediately. Sometimes a doctor knows best, or a mentor, or a grandparent. That's not to say that there isn't something to be said for trusting your gut, but I think that on this one, at least, I just need to take a deep breath and relax a little bit. But friends, I'm telling you right now, that's a lot easier said than done.

3 comments:

Jennjilla said...

It really is hard...

Cutting those teeth are KILLER. They will make a normally sweet, regular kid go bananas. Fevers, mood changes, the whole nine yards. It was horrible...Sawyer cut all of his molars at the same time and I thought his head was going to start spinning. It was too much for one little guy to handle!

Hope things get better soon! It is hard on momma when things aren't right...

Theresa said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. Thankfully Audrey is doing better now, but she had all kinds of weird, hard to diagnose problems when she was tiny. A lot of it was caused by food allergies so I got to learn WAY more than I ever wanted to about that. Even now anytime she's fussier than normal I worry that it might have been something she ate or a bug that she caught. This weekend she was super cranky and I was worried that she was sick or that she was sad because I wasn't spending as much time with her because I was busy with a garage sale and a bridal shower (Kyle spent the whole day playing with her). Turns out all that worry was for nothing, that night she cut two teeth within a few hours of each other and returned to her normal, happy self.

Good luck in figuring it out, I've been there and it is a hard place to be. If you want to talk give me a call.

Adriane and Bryan said...

With the last few teeth that Drew cut, there were HORRIBLE diapers...very out of the ordinary. Hopefully it's just that and nothing more. Don't worry!!!