I Miss Reading Rainbow!

Butterfly in the sky,
I can go twice as high,
Take a look,
It's in a book,
Reading Rainbow.

Does that bring back memories? It definitely does for me! I loved that show, and I remember watching it every day. I'd sometimes watch it and make a list of the books that I liked so that the next time my Nana took me to the library, we'd be sure to get the right ones. Going to the library with my Nana is one of my most favorite childhood memories...I think that's one of the reasons I love books so much to this day.

For one of my baby showers, my mom sent about 4 big bags of children's books to me (she couldn't be there since I was still in England!). I remember pulling out each book, and remembering the first time that I had read it; perhaps with her, or maybe with my Nana. All of my favorites were in there, ones that I couldn't wait to share with Elli. And now, even though she's not quite 6 months old yet, she loves to help turn the pages & to press her hands on the ones that are especially colorful. We read at least twice a day and I hope that I'm instilling in her the importance and pleasure of reading just like my mom & Nana did for me.

I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite children's books. Of course, there are WAY too many to put in one post, but perhaps one or two of these few might stand out to you. They are all special in their own unique way...I hope you enjoy them. Oh, and a friend of mine may or may not be getting them all in her own little baby basket :) Gotta spread the love!!

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle

My Daddy & I by PK Hallinan

Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton

Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Now One Foot, Now the Other by Tomie dePaola
**About a grandfather who teaches his grandson to walk, and then has to re-learn to walk himself after a stroke/illness. It's a great book about the bond between grandparents and their grandbabies, and it also teaches children about compassion for the elderly...especially when they are dealing w/ a physical problem.**

Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs by Tomie dePaola
**Can you tell I love this author?! This one is about a great-grandmother who lives upstairs, and the grandmother who lives downstairs and the relationship both of them have with their grandson. Again, it's a teaching book (in my opinion), and it lends itself to the delicate subject of death and; perhaps more importantly, remembrance. It's such a sweet story, you're sure to love it!**



2 comments:

Team Downing said...

I loved Reading Rainbow!

Jen McD said...

great books - I'm going to have to check on the last two. They sound touching.