With the Oscars coming up, I thought I'd write about some of my most & least favorite movies of the year. When are the Oscars, anyway? I keep seeing commercials, but I never pay attention to the date. Anyway...here's my list :)
WORST: The Informant
Oh my gosh, possibly the worst movie EVER!! I don't know if I just didn't get the humor, or if it was truly THAT BAD, but we almost walked out...and that's extremely rare!
SCARIEST: Paranormal Activity
So, I don't really believe in spirits or demons in the way that they were portrayed in this movie; however, it still managed to creep me out! Elli's room is on the other side of the house, and there were more than a few nights when I had to leave the light on in the kitchen just so I could make it to her late-night feeding!! And I thought it was scarier b/c it wasn't bloody or gory...which I can always tell myself it fake. The way that they did it, documentary style, really made it seem real. CREEPY!!
MOST SURPRISING IN A GOOD WAY: Moon
I was a little leery of this movie when Chris brought it home, but I really liked it. It only has one character, Sam Rockwell, who does a tremendous job of keeping the movie flowing. It wasn't "edge of your seat" good, but it was different and made me think. I definitely recommend it!
BEST CHICK FLICK: The Proposal or Julie & Julia
I really liked both of these movies...perhaps I liked Julie & Julia a little bit more because I love to cook so much. Plus, it was different and I like different. But, Ryan Reynolds is super cute so, I don't know, I think it's a tie :)
WEIRDEST: District 9
I was NOT a fan of this movie, though I think I'm in the minority b/c everyone keeps telling me how good it is. It reminded me of the movie Fly, and not surprisingly, I wasn't a fan of that one either! I guess not liking alien/sci-fi movies kinda sealed the deal for me. But, if you're in the mood for that kind of thing...this might be the one for you!
BEST ANIMATED: Up
Wendy can attest to the fact that I cried in this movie 3 separate times!! I loved it. I thought it was sweet, funny, and had a very good message. Plus, I loved that the dogs could talk...I mean, who doesn't?!
BEST OVERALL: Sherlock Holmes
I know, this is a shocking choice. Maybe it's because I didn't see all of the BIG movies of the year like Precious, Blind Side or Invictus. So, I guess it's not really a good judgement call, but I did see The Hurt Locker (good, a little too close to home, but not my favorite), Avatar (again, I didn't think it was GREAT...though the animation was incredible), & Inglorious Bastards (ehhh, funny in parts, raunchy in parts, overall - didn't LOVE it). So, for me, Sherlock Holmes was it. It kept me guessing, had great acting, a good story, & lots of humor and action. I'm anxious to see if they make a sequel, I'd see it in a heartbeat.
If anyone has any good movie recommendations, send them my way! I LOVE to watch movies, and now that we have sweet little Elli Girl, watching movies on the couch is about as close to a "date night" as Chris and I get :)


5 comments:
I like your movie list. The majority of all the movies listed on your list I have not seen. LOL. The only ones I have actually seen are District 9, Up, Proposal, and Julie & Julia. Have you watched 500 Days of Summer? I watched it this past weekend and really liked it. It is not your traditional romantic comedy movie. I think it may have been my favorite movie of the year so far. I liked Julie & Julia as well, but had a horrible time finishing the book. I guess it was all the cooking talk. I told Kelly she would probably love it. By the way, I read a really interesting book recently called Child 44. Check it out. It is a mix of the book 1984 and the movie Minority Report. I bought it for Jason, and then ending up reading it. Talk to you soon. Missy
I just watched UP again the other night with my sister. She said she didn't like it because she thought it was sad. I told her about you. I am impressed with your movie list. I couldn't come up with a list of that many new movies I have seen this past year. Sad huh!
I cried at Up as well! I mean, the first fifteen minutes of this movie were so sweet! I would also recommend 500 Days of Summer. I thought this movie was very cute.
I haven't seen Up...I feel like I'm missing out!
We saw Sherlock Holms for our anniversary, and I agree. It was witty, action packed and had great scenery.
I haven't seen Julie and Julia...I know. Jeff didn't want to see it and I didn't want to go by myself.
Amy, see The Blindside!!! I LOVED it...really, Sandra Bullock was amazing (I happen to adore her in general, but she really was amazing) and the whole idea of just being so kind-hearted and generous as to take care of someone who really needs it really touched me. I think you would really like it :)
Post a Comment