Here are the questions for this week:
This should get interesting :)
1. Based on Chapter 10, in all truthfulness, has your historical tendency been to view men (generally speaking) as gods? Or devils?
2. Based on Chapter 10 and your own day-to-day observances, what differences do you see between men’s insecurities and women’s?
3. On p.208 in Chapter 11, I suggest that women who struggle with insecurity tend to be particularly taken with 2 divine attributes: omnipotence and omniscience. Did either of these resonate with you? If so, how?


2 comments:
#1 ~ This is a tough one b/c I don't think I've ever categorized ALL men in either category. I had a lot of guy friends when I was in school. Guys don't talk about you behind your back, they almost always tell you the truth to your face, and they tend to be a lot less dramatic than girls (and I thought I had enough drama in my life!). And, on top of those things, I thought that by surrounding myself with guys, I'd somehow be safer. So, in that sense, I guess I looked at my guy friends as "Gods"...especially Chris, since he was the only one who knew everything about me. But outside of my "circle", I guess I looked at most men as "devils". I've been irreversibly hurt by several men, and I'd be lying if I said that it didn't sway my opinion, a little bit, of the entire gender.
#2 ~ Like Chapter 10 pointed out, I believe that men tend to care/worry/stress more about their role as "men" than women do about their role as "women". Chris, for example, seems to have the weight of our entire family on his shoulders sometimes...can he provide for us, are we happy, is he a good husband/father to us? Women, on the other hand, don't seem to worry about that aspect as much. Totally generalizing here, hope no one takes offense!
#3 ~ Omnipotence, hands down. I like to be in control, to have control, to CONTROL. Terrible attribute, but admitting it is the first step, right? I really work hard at this issue in my marriage b/c I have a tendency to quickly go from happy Hannah to frustrated Franny when things don't go my way. It's weird b/c if plans change, my immediate reaction is to get upset...yet, if you give me just a moment, I'll be super excited about the new plan. It's just that "out of the gate" reaction that gets me every time. It's the "letting go" that's hard, especially when my hearts desire is to truly let Chris be the spiritual head of our household...it's pretty hard to let that happen when I've got our entire lives planned out before he has a chance to even think about it!
I have 3 1/2 pages of notes from this chapter, but don’t worry I won’t put them all down for you to read
#1-Weird question for me. I don’t put guys in an all or none category, not even my husband. I’ve seen men and women loose it, and do some really stupid things. For me, men are not “gods” or “devils” but who can I trust.
#2-I can see how men would have just as many insecurities about life as women, I just think women are more emotional about it; I don’t know, maybe it’s just me? I think our insecurities depend on our role in life. Right now my role is to get ready to be a mother and I’m out of my mind with anxiety. Jeff said the other day that he thinks about what kind of dad he will be and if our kid will be a terror but has no insecurity about our ability to be parents. I want that feeling! His life and thoughts are filled with work oriented issues.
#3-Omniscience for sure. I don’t want to know the day to day stuff more like what/where will I be in 20 years. Will I ever get a job that I’m passionate about, will Elynn be the first female President or how I will die (weird I know)?
Post a Comment